Sunday, March 20, 2011

a special play date

A week ago, Aubrey and I went and hung out with Jenny, Landon and Caden.

I have known Jenny since middle school and she is one of my very best friends.
We have been through a lot together.

At the end of January, Landon was diagnosed with Leukemia.
Let me tell you, this was not easy news to get.

My heart was so sad for what my best friend was about to have to go through with her child.

Landon has been doing amazing through it all though!! He has had blood taken, blood transfusions, spinal taps and bone marrow tests- more than I can really keep track of. His steroids have made him a little less than pleasant at times (!) and was eating them out of house and home!
After his first month of Chemo, the Leukemia cells are gone!! But, they have to do maintenance chemo for the next 3 years. The chemo he is doing now he does from home, by pill. Each month will be different types of chemo. (I think? I'm a little hazy on all the facts. God bless Jenny for keeping track of all this!) Now that he is off the steroids, his weight is going down and his attitude is getting better.


Jenny and Brent have a lot still to deal with. Unfortunately, its a very long road to recovery. I just can't imagine myself in their position. But, if I ever am, I sure hope I handle as amazingly as they have. They have an awesome support group around them, and, most of all, God! It is so clearly evident that He is working in this situation. Even though none of us can answer "Why Landon??" we all still trust God's plan. As hard as it is sometimes!

All of the chemo thus far has really just killed his immune system. Its slowly building back up, but, for the first 8 months they have to be careful with how much he's exposed to the "outside".
So, we went to them! We spent the day just hanging out and playing around at their house. You almost wouldn't even know that Landon was sick. Its amazing really.
Landon loved spinning Aubrey around in the chair... and, she loved it right back!
(Yes, there is something sticking out of his pants.. a lizard I believe?? Fake of course!)Then came the swords!
Armed and very dangerous!
Poor little Caden got the fury of Aubrey taken out on him with that sword.
She got a time out and then he got an apology and a hug.

He decided to do his own thing after that. Smart kid.

I was so glad we got to go over there. Hopefully we'll get to again soon! I love those boys! And, Jenny too! (And, Brent. But, he was working. :)

If you ever think about when you're praying, please pray for my friends.
They could surely use it.

No comments: